- This trip-event has passed.
River Safety Course
24 March 2018
This course is aimed at outdoor users who are likely to travel in, near or across rivers or streams while recreating in the NZ outdoors. It will include practical application of river crossing techniques and the theory of river dynamics.
* Basic river dynamics and hazards
* How to assess whether a river or stream is safe to cross
* Choosing not to cross
* How to identify safe crossing points
* Managing clothing and equipment for travel/river crossing
* How to perform a solo crossing
* How to cross using an approved mutual support method
* How to float and recover if swept away
* How to self-release from a trapped pack
* How to safely retreat during a crossing
* Managing a group in and around waterways
PLEASE NOTE: the ability to swim confidently is not a pre-requisite of this course, however if participants are not confident swimmers they should advise their instructors of this at the earliest possible opportunity.
Premeet Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 7 -9 pm, Opawa Baptist Church 285 Wilsons Rd, Waltham, Christchurch .
Field training Saturday 24th March 2018.
Venue Waimakariri River 0830 hrs – approx. 1400.
McLeans Island Road – Car Park opposite the Handloaders Association Rifle Club, just before the stop bank.
Cost: $30 per person
What to Bring: Tramping gear including:
Boots, pack (with pack liner) and filled with sufficient gear (for extra weight bottles filled with water or stones)
Warm clothing including wind jacket, depending on weather
Sun hat, sun screen. Change of clothes, towel, warm drink water bottle, snacks.
Use this link to register: https://tinyurl.com/otnz-riversafety-March2018
For any questions or to register please contact either Brian Wilson on 027 825 1177 or Tania Kendall 027 675 3333 or email us at email@example.com.