Navigation skills day: Southern South Island clubs
* * Location and other details yet to be finalised * * *
How are your map reading skills these days? Sufficiently good to get you lost in the bush? Maybe you need a bit of up skilling then this is the day for you….
This skills day is a collaboration between Southland, Hokonui, Wakatipu and Fiordland Tramping Clubs, and grew out of FMC’s project to encourage regional clubs to pool resources for courses. If you would like to know more about this event, please contact those clubs!
Things we will learn:
- How to use your map, compass, GPS, phone GPS.
- Basic skills will be learned. Bring a notebook if you wish. If you need sorting out after the course to clarify anything, just email me.
What you will need
- A good compass, a SILVA or equivalent. They are expensive but they are very good and serve a number of purposes. SILVA make a large range of compasses, a base model is OK. Probably cost about $50 ~ 60. If you don’t want to do the outlay, borrow one
- If you have a GPS bring it.
- Do you have a GPS App on your phone… Charge your phone fully and bring it with you. Bring a back-up charging battery if you have one